It's not too late to stan LOONA

Blockberry Creative

It started while I was watching Febby's stream on Twitch. Febby usually plays DOTA 2 but during this stream he played another game. He was doing this laser game. It was like Dance Dance Revolution but with light sabers. The first song started and I noticed that the heavy techno beat sounded sick. After a while the lyrics came in and I knew right away that it was K-Pop. The song started with this fierce rap delivery building up into this euphoric and cheerful drop/chorus. Don't forget that Pre-Chorus who added so much to the build up.

I was not able to listen to the song in its entirety because Febby kept losing. So I took note of anything from what I was seeing on my Twitch screen and saw LOONA. I went directly to Youtube and typed in "LOONA" and the search result displayed on top was Why Not?.

I think you'd know what exactly happened after I clicked the MV. I fell in love with the K-Pop group! I really thought there were four members since Why Not? was the first MV of them that I watched. But when I got to Star I was shocked to discover they were more than 4.

I haven't gone over their old songs yet but I did listen to their latest EP - 12:00. And my oh my was it a delight. It was a strong EP from start to finish. With songs that show the versatility and the endless talent of the group.

The EP starts with 12:00, a short but satisfying introduction tying the whole theme and aesthetic of the album and also giving us a taste of what's to come.

Why Not?, the second track, is a hard-hitting and hypnotic serving from the girls. The song's duplicity in character makes it an instant hit. The song catches you off guard with its strong and in-your-face verses which eventually breaks into this cheerful and fun chorus. And can we not forget that sexy hook, amirite?

The line "Kill my vibe. That's a no no." summarizes the attitude and message of the song for me.



Voice is an 80s inspired track that showcases the poppier side of the girls. With so many K-Pop songs employing this vintage flair sound it's easy to get lost in a sea of songs sounding the same. But this one's up there with TWICE's 'I Can't Stop Me' and BLACKPINK's 'Lovesick Girls.'

Fall Again reminds me so much of Taeyeon's Rain. I can't put my finger on it to be honest. Maybe because this is a song I would definitely listen to during rainy nights? 

The sweet and soft vocal delivery is truly soothing. The way that you can feel the yearning from their voices and how it makes you long for someone too is beyond me.

Another magical track, Universe is a love letter of the group to their fans "Orbits." A love song that sounds atmospheric and cinematic at the same time. This one takes my breath away!

Hide & Seek sounds like an ITZY track because it is confident and bad ass. This one's playful as it uses different production elements throughout the song that evoke emotions likened to when one is playing hide and seek. The rush you feel when you know you're going to find someone and the danger of being found.

"No one can love me the way I love my self." is the sentiment of Oops! Another heavy-hitting and confident anthem with an unforgettable rap performance I've heard in a long while.

Star is the English version of Voice. Even if it is basically just the same track I hope this version captures more audiences in other countries. But honestly I love the Korean version more.



This EP is easily a 5 out of 5 for me! I'd like to thank Febby for unintentionally introducing me to LOONA. Go watch him stream playing DOTA: https://www.twitch.tv/febbydoto

It's not too late to stan the girls. It is not that difficult to do. They're a power group with endless talents that can serve us for days, weeks, months, and years. One must need to stumble upon any of their songs to eventually ending up a fan. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LSS: Crying Season by UDD

LSS: Feelings (Up Dharma Down)

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution