LSS: Crying Season by UDD

Nothing hurts more than the pain of not given the chance to say goodbye...

UDD encapsulates such a journey of emotions around a sensitive topic with Crying Season---a tear-jerker of a track, one of my favorite song from their self-titled album.

For context, below is an excerpt from Armi Millare's Facebook page posted on October 21, 2019, explaining the message behind the song.
"I know it is midday, totally out of the blue but someone had asked about what Crying Season is all about. It was written for our fallen comrade, the band’s best friend-Sherwin De Guzman, and two other friends who had succumbed to their struggle with mental health. It has been difficult to grasp none of them are here to talk to us about it, but maybe let me try from my end of the spectrum."
As someone who had a similar experience, I'll try to break down the lyrics based on my own understanding and from my perspective.

Verse 1
Is this the end or beginning?
The song starts with a question: Is this the end or beginning? A line one can only muster after such unspeakable loss and confusion. 

I can sense of your goodbye
It's difficult to look back at that last conversation. Because one would repeat that moment and would try to look for any signs, hoping that by finding anything the outcome would be different. Those last moments would be a subject of excessive picking apart.

When you looked back at your last conversation, did you feel it would be the last one? Was there a disconcerting feeling that you can't point your fingers on? Because sometimes you'll never know. 

I'm feeling more than I’m feeling
Wondering what went on your mind
People are left with an overwhelming sense of regret for not stopping what needed to be stopped.

You never gave us chance to really try
And worse, I really stood behind you
When they say they're fine and that you need not worry. But deep inside they're drowning, not knowing what to do. And so, we go on about our life with that false sense of security. 

How did you know what to say or
Would it if I stopped the spinning wheel
When they say what they want us to hear at the expense of their mental-wellbeing.

Chorus
And I hope, somehow
That you're happy now

'Cause without no rhyme or reason
It’s crying season again

Verse 2
Whether I'm wrong or right
It don't matter if it's the end

Whether I'm right or wrong
It don't make a difference, my friend

Bridge
We had some good, good times
We had good, good times together
We had some good, good times
We had good, good times together
Remember?
Remember?
(I'm trying to) Remember
(I'm trying to) Remember
When it's a little too late to empathize, and the only memory you're left with is their last moment with you. But you try your hardest to conjure images of them in their happiest and freest.

Chorus
And I hope, somehow
That you’re happy now
’Cause without no rhyme or reason
It's crying season again

When all is said and done, no amount of blaming can alleviate the pain of such a loss. 
You can't blame them. You can't blame yourself. There's only pain to work around and through. And hopefully what blossoms forth is something beautiful, a reminder of the life they had and the life you'll lead ahead.

If you, or someone you know need help, here's a link to a list of Suicide Hotline and Crisis lines in the Philippines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution