The best albums of 2019



This year has been one of the best years in music (in my opinion). Not to mention it being dominated by women. With the last decade coming to a close and with so much gratitude in my heart for the gift of music, here are my top albums for 2019.

#7 GIRL | Marren Morris
Columbia Nashville

I was pissed because Maren Morris' GIRL did not receive the GRAMMY nomination it so rightfully deserved. With a sultry and powerful voice that has crossed over different music genres it's difficult to not get excited with anything new from the phenomenal artist.  Good thing though, because she did not disappoint on her critically acclaimed second studio album GIRL

The album starts with its title track GIRL which is an empowering anthem for women and continues with a series of tracks with features on it, one of which is my favorite: "Common" (featuring Brandi Carlile). 

I noticed how intentional the order of the tracks were made for the second half. It tells the love story of Maren and her husband, Ryan Hurd from them being boyfriend and girlfriend to them being husband and wife; How their love grew stronger through everything they've experienced as a couple and how it has become the very foundation of their relationship ever since. 

GIRL ends on a high note with "Shade", still about his husband and musically has one of the best moments in the album. 

Favorite Tracks: GIRL, The Bones, Common, Gold Love, Good Woman 

#6  No Words Left Lucy Rose 

Arts & Crafts

Albums are called albums because they serve as a record of someone's life over a particular duration. Its definition is magnified on Lucy Rose's fourth studio album No Words Left.

"Shiver" was my introduction to Lucy Rose's music. I fell in love with it because of its somber tone and how intimate her singing sounds. In No Words Left, Lucy Rose returns to singing emotionally-charged and honest songs. One of her best to date. 

It's stripped down, vulnerable, and melancholic. All in all beautiful and it gives us a glimpse into Lucy Rose's soul.

Favorite Tracks: Solo(w), Song After Song, The Confines Of This World

#5 The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change | Nina Nesbitt 

Cooking Vinyl

After being dropped by her record label in May 2016, Nina Nesbitt had to decide whether to quit music or to continue doing what she love. She eventually chose the latter, but this time it was writing music for other artists. Until she decided to go for it and return to making genuine music for herself.

The Sun Will Come Up, the Seasons Will Change is a honest as it gets. Nina's raw and angelic voice soars on every track making sure we're emotionally involved and focused.

This album is full of hope and a reminder that whatever difficult situation we are currently in there will always be better days ahead if we decide to continue and move forward like what Nina Nesbitt did.

Favorite Tracks: Sacred, The Best You Had, Is It Really Me You're Missing?, The Sun Will Come Up, the Seasons will change

#4 PANG | Caroline Polachek

Perpetual Novice

I thank Youtube for this beautiful discovery. I stumbled upon her video for "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings" on Youtube without any idea of what was to come. And as I played the video I knew from that moment after watching the whole thing that I would be searching for Caroline Polachek's discography. 

I learned that she was from Chairlift - an indie pop duo which was unfortunately dissolved after 11 years. And on October she released her debut solo album PANG under her name.

PANG is a hypnotic, mesmerizing, and magical journey into the confines of a world where every emotion matters especially that of love.

Favorite Tracks: Hit Me Where It Hurts, Door, So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings

#3 Titanic Rising | Weyes Blood

Sub Pop

With a timeless voice likened to Karen Carpenter and a pristine and flawless production, Titanic Rising is without a doubt one of the best albums of 2019.

It's celestial, other-worldly but grounded on the reality and relatability of human life: the fear of the future, the uncertainty of love in the present time, and the rise of anxiety and depression. But despite the impending doom, there is a shining light of hope if we care enough to search for it.

Favorite Tracks: A Lot's Gonna Change, Andromeda, Everyday, Something to Believe, Picture Me Better

#2 Heard It In A Past Life | Maggie Rogers

Debay, Capitol

I started 2019 on a high note with Maggie Roger's folk-pop album Heard It In A Past Life. And I'm so glad I did because I am also ending this year with her album on my top list!

"Light On" was my SOTY in 2018. It was a song so close to my heart as it defined 2018 for me. Songs from HIIAPLS played as background during my commutes to prospect companies I've applied to and times of needed introspection.

"Back In My Body" was a song I would always play before a job interview to keep me level-headed despite my anxiety. It got me through some of my anxious filled moments during the first quarter of 2019.

The album is as colorful and vibrant as its cover. With the celebration of love and life at its centerpiece.

Favorite Tracks: Overnight, The Knife, Alaska, Light On, Retrograde, Back in My Body

#1 Amidst The Chaos | Sara Bareilles

Epic

Sara Bareilles will always be my favorite artist of all time. This year she released her sixth studio album entitled Amidst The Chaos. Most of the tracks on ATC are politically-charged (as evidenced by the album title clearly referring to the state of the United States of America under Trump's presidency). But these beautiful and well-crafted songs can be interpreted differently. Whenever I'd listen to "No Such Thing" I can't help myself but get emotional as I would unconsciously relate the song to my late mother. With the line "I've tried to get over you, over you, over you. But I think there's no such thing." making my eyes sweat.

I've chosen ATC as my top album for 2019 because it came at a perfect time in my life when I was crippled with my anxiety. So many things have happened - earthquakes, water disruption, having high blood pressure, trying to manage my life without imploding - it was such a turbulent time for me mentally. But Sara Bareilles' songs were there to comfort and accompany me during those moments. And so these songs became intertwined with those memories and listening to the whole album brings back a rush of nostalgia, not that they were happy memories but hopeful ones where I get to grow and know what I am made of.

Favorite Tracks: Fire, No Such Thing, If I Can't Have You, Orpheus, Wicked Love, Poetry By Dead Men, Armor

Honorable Mentions:

#8 Lover | Taylor Swift
Republic

Favorite Tracks: Lover, The Man, I Think He Knows, Cruel Summer 

#9 UDD | UDD
Terno Recordings

Favorite Tracks: Anino, Crying Season, Young Again

#10 Limasawa Street | Ben & Ben

Sony Music Entertainment

Favorite Tracks: Talaarawan, Pagtingin, Lucena, Limasawa Street

#11 Stranger Songs | Ingrid Michaelson

Cablin 24 Records

Favorite Tracks: Freak Show, Young And In Love, Missing You, Mother

#12 Good At Falling | The Japanese House

Dirty Hit

Favorite Tracks: Maybe You're The Reason, Follow My Girl, Lilo, I Saw You In A Dream

#13 The Highwomen | The Highwomen

Elektra Records

Favorite Tracks: Redesigning Women, Old Soul, Loose Change, My Name Can't Be Mama

#14 Immunity | Clairo
Fader Label

Favorite Track: Sofia, Alewife, Bags

#15 Late Night Feelings | Mark Ronson

RCA Records, Sony Music Entertainment

Favorite Tracks: Find U Again, Don't Leave Me Lonely, Spinning

#16 Saves The World | MUNA

RCA Records

Favorite Tracks: Number One Fan, Stayaway, Pink Light

#17 Now, Not Yet | half.alive
RCA Records

Favorite Tracks: Runaway, Still Feel, OK OK?

#18 Carly Rae Jepsen | Dedicated

Schoolboy/Interscope Records

Favorite Tracks: No Drug Like Me, Julien, Everything He Needs

#19 Hot Pink | Doja Cat

Kemosabe Records, RCA Records

Favorite Tracks: Juicy, Rules, Say So

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

How to send E-load to PayMaya or GCASH using your BPI app