The "Choosy" Leader Syndrome




I have been a small group leader for almost a year (I am currently handling at least 6 men). And as a disciple-maker I tend to get excited by the prospect of meeting someone new and eventually leading them to God.

I would be very excited if I see them and think - based on their appearance - that they're already spiritually mature to a certain degree (I'm not sure if anyone could do that on a first meeting). But if I perceive them as such I would be energetic and friendly and desperate to mentor them right away. "Hi what's your name? I'm kuya Tobby! So welcome to KFCI and for our first lesson... "

I would be daydreaming - teaching and leading them to God would be so much easier. I would love discipleship even more!

The problem is when they're the opposite of my ideal disciple - spiritually immature, undisciplined and difficult to connect with. I would be very skeptical during our first meeting and would at some point try to point them to other leaders whom I think would be suitable to take care of them.  And by suitable I mean leaders who are more compassionate, patient, and loving than I am. (Side note: After finishing this blog entry I read the Bible to do my devotion and guess what? Read 1 John 7:24.)

I would mentally reject them and be underwhelmed by idea of me helping them in their walk with God. Ugh, the horror I would go through! Did I remember myself saying I love discipleship?

But one thing I learned from my experience is that these people will help us. I know handling spiritual babies is already difficult and challenging, but God will use these people to help us form our character and develop us into a more compassionate, loving and selfless being. 

Regardless of their spiritual status, these people will help us grow. And I think the younger a disciple is in the faith, the more opportunity for growth you'll have. But that doesn't apply to all cases.

That is what I love about discipleship - it goes both ways. We help them start their new life with Jesus Christ and they help us become better, effective, and more compassionate disciple-makers.

Now I am not selective with the people God entrusts me. I am even humbled and grateful for the opportunity to share Jesus Christ to them and help them establish a relationship with Him. Because after all Jesus Christ did not choose us based on our spiritual condition as well as other factors. He chose us because He loves us and He has a purpose for our life, and nothing can ever change that!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

Help! (02)795-2500 is calling me