Elementary Memories


I was never the popular kid in school. 

I remember during my elementary days (I forgot exactly what grade it was) a particular memory during our Christmas party.

Weeks before the event, my classmates were already preparing for the program.
Our room was already in Christmas mode as Christmas lanterns and decorations were hung and displayed across the room.

One of my classmates (let's call her Lady Bird) had this presentation in mind: they will be singing the highly popular Christmas song that time, Sa Araw ng Pasko.

For context, here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZEPl3_Gpo

Watch the video below:


They would be singing it similarly to how the original was performed. 

If you remember there were various artists who performed the song (shoutout to all 90s kis, where so old now!). Each artist has a line to sing and everyone would be in unison singing the chorus.

So this classmate of mine (LB) asked the popular kids to perform the Christmas song together. Of course I was not asked to join since I was not popular or likable as it turned out. 

Also, not everyone was included in the performance, only the cool kids. By cool kids I mean Lady Bug's close friends and her friends other close friends.

I knew the song so well that time; Every word and its proper delivery - breathing, melody and all.

That's why I was saddened  that I was not included in the performance. It was the cool kids' time to shine (like they always did back in the day) - the rich, famous, funny, and charismatic kids. And what do the unpopular ones' parts in the program? Nothing - we get to bring our pledged foods and watch the program as audience (you also get to participate in games which was fun). If you're lucky you'll lead the class in the opening prayer.

Growing up I remember experiencing situations where I felt unimportant and a cast out - that I don't belong. But the cool kids' Christmas performance was one of the many unforgettable memories I had when it comes to feeling unimportant and unwanted.

But here's the plot twist:
On the day of our Christmas party right before the cool kids were about to perform, our class adviser encouraged everyone to sing the song. Let me repeat that, EVERYONE. God bless her.

I don't know how LB felt that moment. I knew the cool kids had rehearsed the song. I heard them during recess and after class. Maybe she was disappointed or something? I don't know. But what I remembered clearly was me having a chance to show the cool kids how to bring justice to the song. 

When the song started I sang my heart out to each line. I was pitch perfect. I sang the hell out of the song not only because I knew the song well or that I thought I may have given the song justice if it was me who got to perform but also because I wanted to shove it to the cool kids' faces that we're all equal. And no one can invalidate someone's value just because they're not cool or that they don't meet a specific standard or that they don't belong to a group or something. 

To this very day I can still remember myself singing joyfully to Sa Araw ng Pasko on our Christmas party because I was given a chance to shine alongside all of my classmates regardless of our status.

Everyone wants to be cool, I get that. Ever since elementary I have always wanted to be the cool kid whom everyone envies. But the older I have gotten the more I realize that being yourself is more important than being cool and that's cooler!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

Help! (02)795-2500 is calling me