WANTED: A dream job

www.linked-income.com
I have been thinking about this for a while and it dawned on me that I need to make a blogpost out of this important matter (so that I can hit that elusive 30K Pageviews HAHAHA!).

What was your dream job before you graduated from College? Is it the same job you have right now?

Why am I asking these questions? Because I believe I should've asked these questions earlier in my professional career. I should have planned out everything before I went over and searched for possible companies to work for. And because I believe that anyone must never stop himself from attaining his dream job.

Professionally, Software Testing has always been my passion. I mean, I like editing videos,  taking photographs, writing, and blogging, but I don’t see myself doing these in a professional setting. I also think that being exposed to QA stuff during my internship cemented my love for testing software products and applications. It just so happened that after graduation I forgot focusing on getting a job that suits me and my line of expertise. I just went with the flow, I applied at different IT companies and waited until I get past the first screening and eventually receive a call from them. I should have waited for the right time, but because of my desperation to have a high-paying job from a respectable company I grabbed every opportunity that was introduced to me.

My first job was a Software Engineer trainee at a globally-recognized IT company. Before introduced to the floor (that is the corporate jungle) newbies must undergo a series of training (also called Bootcamp) to prepare them for their job roles. To cut the long story short I was not able to meet the company’s grade requirement and so I failed and got truncated from my department (which is also called practice before). I can never forget the last interview I had with them as a trainee.

During the interview with our batch coordinator and the head of Java practice I told them that programming was not for me. It was a bold act, I know. How could someone be certain that He will never thrive in the programming world, even after all those sleepless nights, nerve-wrecking panel presentations, and countless of machine problems I tried to finish at home? I don’t want to give them the idea that all of their efforts were put to waste (not to mention the company’s investment on me). And that I was a lost cause, because I really was (that time). It was difficult, but after I said those words I felt good about it. I told them that I see myself working as a Software Tester if not at their company then somewhere else. In hindsight, I should have applied for other suitable jobs that time before deciding to stick with the company for a year. I mean I should have processed my clearance and look for greener pastures elsewhere but I didn’t. After getting truncated from the IT department I worked for the company as a Data Analyst for a year and after that I decided it was time for me look for a more meaningful job.

I’m not saying that my experience as a Data Analyst was unpleasant. It was just that I didn’t enjoy what I was doing. I felt like nothing good was happening to me at that particular moment in my life. I went to work without the drive to excel at what I’m supposed to do. And I went home late not because of the endless queues I have but with the numerous of blogposts I was writing (see, I still have reasons to go to work!). Even if our team beat a certain deadline or was successful at a task, I was happy but it was different – there was no sense of fulfillment. "Asan ang growth?" - this was my favorite line before.

The only thing that kept me from going insane was my friends and workmates who have been so generous and supportive. I can say that that was the lowest point in my life as a corporate slave. And as I look back I am thankful for everything that happened which led me to where I am now.

Where am I going with all of this? Haha!

My point is, I may have started my career with a bang and a lot of ups and downs along the way, what matters most is that I am where I’m supposed to be now. I love my work, I love everything about it. I wake up every morning afresh knowing that this day I can be as productive as I am. I may be stressed and burnt-out after a toxic day at work, but at the end of the day I am brimming with happiness and sense of fulfillment because I did it with love and passion.

Let me ask you this question again: What is your dream job?

www.greeneggsandlam.files.wordpress.com
A dream job does not necessarily mean a high-paying and an in demand job. You have to define it yourself. If you love doing it for the rest of your life, if you’re passionate about it, if you don’t drag yourself to work everyday for it, and if you’re working not for the money/pay but for the fulfillment and satisfaction from it, then that is your dream job.

Let me leave you with this inspiring quote from Steve Jobs:

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.”  -- Steve Jobs
www.becomefitnesswithnikki.files.wordpress.com
Bear in mind that it is easier to land a job than to have a fulfilling career. That's why as early as now work hard for that dream job of yours! And don't forget that in whatever you do, always do it for the glory of God! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

How to send E-load to PayMaya or GCASH using your BPI app