The Blessed Unrest Album Review


After 3 years of waiting, at last, Sara Bareilles’ newest album is now out! The Blessed Unrest which was released on July 16, 2013 is Bareilles’ fourth full-length studio album next to Kaleidoscope Heart (released on 2010) through Epic Records.

The Blessed Unrest album cover.


The album consists of 13 (with 2 bonus tracks if bought from Target) tracks written by Sara herself. And as the artist explained on her Youtube account, her newest offering is more personal compared to the previous albums. She disclosed her concern on the possible reaction of her beloved fans to The Blessed Unrest. Since she slightly deviated from the kind of songs she usually has on her albums, the singer/songwriter has been hesitant until the release of TBU.

On the day of its release I searched through all the nooks and crannies of the World Wide Web for the album and finally found and downloaded it. I was never disappointed with Sara Bareilles’ albums but TBU was different, less of the heartbreaking songs (SB’s trademark) and more of who she is as an artist.

Sara B need not worry anymore for the reception of her album is more than satisfactory. 

Brave: Sara Bareilles

The Blessed Unrest starts with Bareilles’ first album single “Brave”, an empowering anthem that inspires and delivers with strength, confidence, and resiliency. The song reminds us to let our mouths speak the truth of our hearts. To transcend beyond every uncertainty and self-doubt and become fearless not just in expressing ourselves to others but also in all aspects of our individuality.

Favorite line: “Let your words be anything but empty. Why don’t you tell them the truth?”

Chasing the Sun – Another proof of Sara Bareilles’ knack for poetic takes on song writing. The song translates the message of living life to the fullest, “You said, remember that life is not meant to be wasted”. And living every moment of it as if it is your last.



Manhattan -  It’s a breakup song ingeniously crafted to have a long-lasting effect to whoever hears it. It is Sara’s way of saying “I’m not going back to where it all started. The places we’ve been and the love we’ve shared will only be a memory of you and me. So it is up to you to reminisce the past but as for me I can’t do it. I just can’t.”

Favorite lines: 

"And I'll wish this away. Just missing the days when I was one half of two."

“And I know that holding us in place is simply the fear of what’s already changed.

Satellite Call - It leaves you with a feeling of an unexplainable sadness. A somber tone filled with an uncertain longingness for someone afar.  I believe I’ll be needing this song during my solitary moments. Whenever I need a time of my own far from the people I know. So much for that, the message of the song for me is still vague but the aftereffect it has on me is crystal clear.

Little Black Dress, this track is more of a “getting-over-you” song. It’s like Sara Bareilles saying to his ex-bf that she’s moving on and starting anew with her life without him in it. The song reminds me of her “Gonna Get over You” hit from her previous album. The playful melody and the groovy-ness of the song will make you forget what the song is really about. If most people drink their heartaches away Sara is more likely to dress up exquisitely and dance herself through her heartbreak.

Favorite line:  “Get up off my knees and just remember that I am more than just somebody’s puppet. I can find the cord and then I’ll cut it. I stand a pretty good chance to dust myself off and dance.”


Cassiopeia – SB’s originality shines through this song. The playfulness of the lyrics and the uniqueness of the poetry behind the song is just pure awesomeness.

Favorite line: “She said tonight, come on come on collide. Break me to pieces. I think you’re just like heaven.”

A 1000 Times - The unending and undying devotion of an unrequited love laced with sweet words of forever. 

Favorite line: “Nothing could be worse than the risk of losing what I don’t have now.”

I Choose You – this is the perfect wedding song that I can think of as of now. It resembles to that of Train’s “Marry Me” but with Sara’s heartfelt rendition, and artistry painted all over the lyrics. A love letter and a wedding vow at the same time, poignantly moving. It will definitely swoon you over and sweep you off your feet.

Favorite line: “My whole heart will be yours forever. This is a beautiful start to a lifelong love letter.”

I Wanna Be Like Me – A song about knowing what matters most, your self-worth or your acceptance from others. The track is somewhat upbeat and cheerful, a very light approach to the latter issue.

Favorite line: “What if I don’t wanna be like you? Just because I was made to be exactly like me.”

Other songs from the album include Hercules, Eden, Islands and December, all of which are the depiction of the maturity and the exceptional talent of Sara Bareilles.



source for the images: google images

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOCKED from your BPI Express Account? Here is the solution

How to fix “Invalid Payment Details” error when paying for your PSA Serbilis using your BDO mobile app

How to send E-load to PayMaya or GCASH using your BPI app